About the Project
The Mission Beach Town Centre Revitalisation Project, will create a vibrant town centre, breathing life back into the Mission Beach and surrounds for the enjoyment of our community and visitors. The revitalisation will bring more tourism to the region and encourage further development from investors.
The project is being delivered in two stages:
Stage 1: Mission Beach Carpark - Complete
Stage 2 (current): Upgrade to Village Green and along Porter Promenade, including Donkin Lane and Campbell Street.
Cassowary Coast Regional Council endorsed the final design for the Mission Beach Town Centre Revitalisation Project during the October 2023 Local Government Meeting.
The final design breathes life back into Mission Beach and welcomes overdue improvements to the town centre’s access and amenities for visitors and residents. The revitalisation is a key step in strengthening the economy, enhancing livability and the destination appeal of Mission Beach.
The delivery of this thriving and unique project will feature formalised seating, exclusive greenery, sculptural play elements, bicycle racks and LED lighting transforming the existing CBD into an attractive and versatile public space. The pedestrian-friendly connections from the new car park to the foreshore will improve accessibility whilst creating a vibrant oasis for the community to enjoy and admire the beautiful beach and Dunk Island.
The design also includes opportunities for local artists and artwork to be showcased and represent the character of Mission Beach as the Rainforest to the Reef. The final design has been influenced strongly by the Mission Beach community as well as the Community and Stakeholder Reference Group (CSRG).
Stage 2 Project Status
Mission Beach Town Centre Revitalisation Project Supplementary Update – February 2024
Council is pleased to offer this supplementary update on the Mission Beach Town Centre Revitalisation Project.
Negotiations with a preferred tenderer are underway for the Mission Beach Town Centre Revitalisation endorsed by Council at the January 2024 Local Government Meeting and Council is planning to proceed to contract mid-March.
- Prior to construction commencing Council’s project team and contractors will provide the community, businesses and traders with key information about the works and how we will keep you informed.
- Following contract negotiations with the preferred tenderer, a schedule of works is expected to be released in early to mid-March.
- Artist impressions of the final designs should be available for the community to view in mid-March.
- Council’s Project Team is currently working on a “support and buy local” campaign which is aimed at supporting traders and operators during the construction period through activation initiatives. Council will engage with the Community Stakeholder Reference Group and businesses to develop and implement this campaign.
- Council aims to commence construction in late March 2024, weather permitting. The expected completion date for this project is the first quarter of 2025.
This project is proudly funded by the Queensland Government’s Local Government Grants and Subsidies program in association with Cassowary Coast Regional Council.
Site Aerial View - Nov 23
Site Plan Aerial View - November 2023
Concept Designs Oct 22
Concept Designs - October 2022
Community and Stakeholder Reference Group
Council has appointed a Community and Stakeholder Reference Group (CSRG), following an open Expression of Interest process, with representatives from key stakeholder groups including business traders and operators, property owners and residents, Traditional Owners, community groups and the wider community.
The CSRG will provide a representative voice to Council throughout the design and construction phases of the project.
- Jules Conlan, Owner Plenty Bar & Restaurant
- Susie England, Director Tropical Property Real Estate
- James Teague, Owner Pirate Den Bar & Grill
- Chris May, Owner Mission Beach Workx
- Nancy Lowe, Chair Tropical Coast / Cassowary Coast Tourism
- Ron Sirolli, Mission Beach Community Association Committee Member
- Neil Clarke, President Mission Beach Arts
- Peter Rowles, President, Community for Coastal and Cassowary Conservation
- Representative from Djiru Warrangburra Aboriginal Corporation RNTBC
- Liz Gallie, Mission Beach Cassowaries
- Hal McElroy, Community Representative